The XMPP Standards Foundation (XSF) participates as a hosting organisation in the Google Summer of Code 2022.
As with many others, this year two contributors will work on an open-source software projects in the XMPP real-time communication technology ecosystem during the summer.
XMPP - the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol
XMPP is the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol, a set of open technologies for instant messaging, presence, multi-party chat, voice and video calls, collaboration, lightweight middle-ware, content syndication, and generalized routing of XML data. XMPP was originally developed in the Jabber open-source community to provide an open, decentralized alternative to the closed instant messaging services at that time.
Google Summer of Code 2022
The Google Summer of Code is an international annual program in which Google awards stipends to contributors who successfully complete a free and open-source software coding project during the summer. Project ideas are listed by host organizations involved in open-source software development, though students can also propose their own project ideas.
Results of the participating projects
See the final result: XSF organization page at Google Summer of Code 2022
Read all blog posts from the contributors!
- Converse.js: Converse is a web-based XMPP client. It has different modes, allowing it to be integrated into existing websites, used as a webchat for a specific chatroom, or used as a full-fledged XMPP client on its own. There is also an electron-based version available.
- Dino: Dino is a modern open-source chat client for the desktop. It focuses on providing a clean and reliable Jabber/XMPP experience while having your privacy in mind.
Welcome to our new contributors!
Our contributors are Patiga and PawBud - warm welcome and its great that you chose XMPP for your coding adventure!
- Patiga will work on more flexible file transfers in Dino
- PawBud will work towards adding support for A/V communication via Jingle in ConverseJS
Feel free to spread the word via Mastodon or Twitter.
- Google’s website
- XSF wiki
- Reach us via web chat or review our “Getting started with XMPP” page and reach us via our public chat.
Checkout our media channels!
Thanks everyone for participating! –The XSF Organisation Admin
- Google Summer of Code, Wikipedia contributors, Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 22 November 2021 23:03 UTC, 22 January 2022 14:31 UTC, Permanent Link
- GSoC-icon.svg, Wikimedia Commons contributors, Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository, Date of last revision: 17 June 2021 12:10 UTC, 22 January 2022 14:33 UTC, permanent link, 569574711